5 Summer activities in our area for the whole family!
1. Summer Reading Program: Every Library will be starting their summer reading program. Check out your local library to sign up. Reading to your child all summer is a HUGE benefit to them and YOU! There are several fun activities throughout the summer as well that you can be involved in. Our favorite activity that the Morton Public Library does in the summer is their “Messy Mondays”. Kids will get to be messy outside with different messy sensory bins! Check out the MPL website for more activities: Summer Program Guide
2. Hiking at Farmdale Reservoir: Just outside of Morton, 866 W. Bittersweet Rd, East Peoria, is a great place for a family hike. If you take the fire trail the first stop is a beautiful creek. Enjoy the morning sunlight by splashing in the creek, skipping rocks, and finding wildlife!
3. Splash Pad at Miller Park Zoo: Enjoy the morning at the zoo, have a picnic lunch, then cool off at the Splash pad and giant playground! Miller Park Zoo is located in the heart of Bloomington, 1020 S. Morris Ave, open from 9:30-4:30. If you have a Peoria Zoo membership you get a discount here! The splash pad is open daily from 9:30am-8:30pm and is FREE.
4. Bicycle Safety Town: Bicycle Safety Town, located on 6518 N. Sheridan Rd, Peoria, is a great place for all skill levels of bikers! It is set up like a “mini town”, where bikers learn the rules of the road on over 4,000 feet of one-way streets. Don’t forget your helmet, this is safety town after all!!
5. FonduLac Farm Park: This unique park, only open in the summer, is just minutes away from Morton, 305 Neumann Dr, East Peoria. They feature all farm animals that you can feed, and a two story silo-slide that is a hit whenever we go! Outside of the Farm there is an awesome playground to have a picnic and burn some extra energy!